Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Real Chobit

Found here: http://www.weirdasianews.com/2008/12/31/meet-aiko-cleans-doesnt-talk-inventors-ideal/

Quoted from the source:

"Here is the perfect female prototype albeit she is made of metal and rather cold in personality.

She can clean house (even do windows), remember HIS favorite drink and even read the newspaper headlines."

I heard about Aiko a few years ago when my then boyfriend and his computer buddies where talking about her. In the first video I saw, she couldn't speak yet, but she could turn her head and indicate that she was paying attention to you. I didn't know much about the background of the project until I looked it up a few minutes ago.

The source I listed earlier states a quote from Aiko's inventor:

“Aiko is what happens when science meets beauty. I want to make her look, feel and act as human as possible so she can be the perfect companion.

I talk to her a lot, and hope to improve her knowledge. So far, she can understand and speak 13,000 different sentences in English and Japanese. She recognizes faces and says hello when any of my family come around to visit.

She helps me pick what to have for dinner and knows what drinks I like.

She even helps me with directions when we’re going somewhere. She has all senses except for smell, a is very patient and never complains,” says Mr. Trung"

Well no shit she doesn't complain. When you're programmed not to complain, you don't.

Anyway. When I first heard about this project, my initial thought was about the anime show "Chobits". "Chobits" involves a world where rather than having normal computers (such as the one I'm typing this on), people have human-sized androids called "persocoms" who perform all sorts of functions for them, from babysitting, to minding a shop, to keeping accounts. It seems similar to what Trung is doing. The fact that he invented her because "he never had time to find a real partner". Ya know...if you spend all your time making a fembot, you're not going to have time to find a real partner, either.


Eilistraee



1 comment:

  1. In Truth , this is the struggle, ours and future generations will have to contend with.
    The more digitized and more technological we become, the more the fantasy worlds we create and live in.

    Thus the less we associate with the Living, on a person to person basis. And though it is true through technology we have opened up a whole new level of communicating and interacting with other people throughout the world, that was not possible before. It also creates the need for a redefinement of basic rules, supporting such things as 'Live Human Relations' compared to 'Digital Human Relations', and which has higher priority and or higher quality for the reciever.
    All in all, as keen as this Technology will most likely be, it also plays a tune that is yet a bit frightening.

    "It will be the de-Humanization of us all, if this path continue we do." -RWHjr

    ReplyDelete